Tuesday, September 25, 2012

{Pinned there, Done That} Homemade Fruit Snacks

The other day I was putzing around on pinterest (go figure!) and I came across this recipe for homemade jello fruit snacks from Six Sisters' Stuff, so I pinned it.
 
Then a couple days later while hubby was watching baseball and I was patiently waiting for the game to be over so we could watching something I decided to give this a shot; plus I had all the ingredients.

Not gonna lie, the girls loved them; but they love fruit snacks and gummy bears and anything of that texture so I wasn't overly concerned. Also, it was fun to make.

However, the thing that crossed my mind was the cost. I mean, to be honest the price of gelatine and jello has gone up lately. Gelatine is like $1.50 per box (that contains 4 packets of jello), and one box of jello is $1.39 or something (not to mention the cost of your time, if you want to factor that in). Maybe my molds were too big, but it didn't seem quite cost effective. I think I got like 20, maybe. You can get prepackaged fruit snacks at the grocery 2 boxes for $4 and get like 10 packs of 8(ish) fruit snacks. Next time I will try not filling my molds so full and that may make a difference.

Clearly, I haven't really done research on how many fruit snacks you can buy versus how much this recipe makes yada yada... but this was just my initial opinion.

PS - I just opened a packet of Sunkist fruit snacks and it had 8 pieces in it.


In case the original post goes missing... here is the recipe, courtesy of Six Sisters' Stuff:
Homemade Jello Fruit Snacks Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 (3 oz) package gelatin, any flavor
2 (.25 oz) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/3 c. water

Directions:
Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.  Pour into molds and allow to set at least 20 minutes.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...